Sunday, October 2, 2011

"1022"

1022. To you, it's a number. No significance at all! (unless of course, your birthday is October 22, but lets not get to detailed here, right?)

To me?

To me, 1022 is not just a number. It's an accomplishment.

Before I get into the significance of the number, let me give you a little background.

First, you have to Picture it, March 2011. I was almost one year out of high school and half-way done with a trade program at Specs Howard School of Media Arts. I could have taken my time at Specs, finished the program in July and run with it. Moved far away from Allen Park and land a crummy radio job in no name, Missouri. Making under minimum wage and eating ramen everyday. I decided however, to run for public office.

From the moment I decided to run for city council, my life changed.

On top of working part-time, going to school and directing a youth theatre, I was now running a campaign! The fame hit quick. I contacted the Allen Park writer of the news herald, hoping to get a small snippet in the paper. He decided to write an entire article. After that, I was contacted by channel 4 and fox 2 Detroit wanting interviews. The channel 4 story even hit CNN. I was getting e-mails and donations from all over the country.

The most surreal moment in the entire campaign was getting a phone call from FoxNews (yes, the NATIONAL news network) wanting an interview. They were going to send a car to pick me up and then give me a live five minute interview. Unfortunately, the possibility of a federal government shut down in early April cancelled my interview.

Yes, the interview was cancelled, but can any of my friends say they were a feature story on CNN?!

I could ramble on and on about all of the time, money and energy I spent on the election, but I'm going to jump forward through that and get to the point of this.

In order to make it to the general election, you had to place 12 out of 19. I landed at 13. Votes shy of claiming a victory.

1022.

Thats how many votes I got. 1022 people took time out of their day because they believed in me. Can you believe that?! I still look back on it and can't.

I fell in love this year. I fell in love with the political process. I fell in love with getting involved by going to meetings and taking time out of my day to see how people feel about issues impacting their lives.

I wouldn't change a thing in my life right now because I'm doing what I love.

Henry David Thoreau once said "Do what you love. Know your own bone; gnaw at it, bury it, unearth it, and gnaw it still." 

The reason I'm so proud of the 1022 votes I earned is because I loved and still love every second of it. It sounds funny doesn't it? It sounds funny, that a number is the Juliet of my life. I hope you are proud of the accomplishments you have made, doing what you love.

I want to end my first post with a question. Think about it. Absorb it. When you can answer it, ask other people. Spread it around like a wild fire. Are you doing what you love?




Until next time, Joshua LaPeer...out.

2 comments:

  1. I wasn't the Allen Park reporter at the time, but I'm glad that they did the story on you. It's really a cool thing. I ran for school board when I was still in high school, but didn't do nearly as well as you.

    As for your question, yes I am doing what I love, that's the reason why it never seems like work.

    Good luck in your future endeavors.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've continued to take the lead for the City, Josh! Keep pressing.

    ReplyDelete