Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Lions, Tigers and Wings, OH MY!

You know, one of the greatest things about living in Detroit is sports. I wouldn't call myself a huge sports fan, but living in a city like Detroit, it's hard not to feel the excitement in the air when one of our teams is doing well.

I think the first time I noticed how exciting sports can be was in 2002, when the Red Wings won the Stanley  Cup. I must admit, hockey was one of the only sports I ever enjoyed. (I even went as far as playing it for a few years!) Seeing the team hold the cup in the air was exciting. My family and a neighbor went downtown the night they won. The streets were packed! It looked like New Years Eve in New York City on Dick Clarks New Years Celebration. 

The thing I remember most about that year, is how proud people we were. How proud we were to say not only are we Wings fans, but we ARE Detroiters! 

Even when the Tigers were not doing so well, if you lived in Detroit, you supported them. You cheered when they were down. And when they were up? You cheered even louder!

Now the lions are coming back! After years and years of losing games, the Lions are looking good. 

But the best thing about the Lions to me? Even when they were losing, WE STOOD BEHIND THEM!

We don't mess around in Detroit. In a town hit hard with the economic downfall, it feels good to turn on the tv and see these heroes. Whether they are on a field or the ice, they are our heroes. They make us proud if they win or lose. You don't have to be a sports fan to feel the PASSION. 

Win or lose, at the end of the day, if you are a Piston, Red Wing, Lion or Tiger, YOU MAKE US PROUD.

Until next time, Joshua LaPeer...out.



No comments:

Post a Comment